Another Oregon winter has begun and it has been severely cold, windy, and wet already. Again, thousands of our unhoused citizens face another New Year with their basic human rights being violated by Eugene’s laws against sleeping. With tents erected illegally in a refugee camp fashion, the words “Please let us sleep” say it all. Forcing people from one place to another when they honestly have no where to go and no choice but to sleep, is a waste of city resources and anyone that agrees can email here. You can also go to a meeting and let your voice be heard. See local meetings for dates and times.
Nightingale Public Advocacy Collective supports SLEEPS efforts by donating a port-a-potty for the site and paying for it to be moved each time they are forced from a location. SLEEPS would be extremely grateful for any volunteer help or donations. The following is a list of their needs:
* Tarps, tents, pallets
* Rope, bungees or even old panty hose
* Laundry drying racks, anyone who can do a load of laundry and visiting the camps.
* Money is also nice for laundry and dump fees.
* No canned food or clothing except coats and shoes.
* Please bring ready to eat food that doesn’t need plates or utensils.