John's idea to circualte petition to extend exemption

Organizing protests and camp activities; approving non-OE events to support; working with other groups on actions

John's idea to circualte petition to extend exemption

Postby kokomojo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi All,
I told John our cook that I'd pass on his suggestion to circulate a petition to extend our exemption from the camping ban. He's pretty fired up about it and suggests we canvass the neighborhood and circulate it at events,...and in the food line.
Nice work on Thursday btw!
Jen
kokomojo

Re: John's idea to circualte petition to extend exemption

Postby Ivan DelSol » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:30 am

Glad to hear this is in the works!
Ivan DelSol

Postby Ross » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:38 pm

John, Jen, today I canvased about 100 plus homes regarding the Neighborhood Action Committee meeting this Sunday at Reality Kitchen. About 40 people answered their doors and only about four were home owners and one starting to worry about foreclosure. So I gots alot more to do. At the same time, of the 40 folks I spoke with, everyone would have signed the "Extend OE at WJP" partition. Jen if you are interested in doing some canvasing, maybe we can work on this together on Friday. If someone has a petition ready,
Ross

Postby jeanstac » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 pm

How about this as a starting point ....what would you rather say, how would you rather say it? sometimes it easier to bounce off of something than to fill a vacuum so here is a starting point: (also, until what date do you want to extend it? if this is finalized before the weekend, we can get people at the Holiday Market to sign it in our booth.....)

"We the undersigned urge the Mayor and City Council of Eugene to allow the Occupy Eugene movement to continue to occupy the Washington Jefferson Park bordering 7th Avenue beyond the temporary Dec. 15 deadline. The encampment has become a far safer home than the streets for several hundred people who have been forced into the streets by the economic injustices of our times. It is a center through which hundreds of Eugenians are able to contribute humanitarian service through donations and volunteer work to the alarmingly increasing number of men, women and children who are struggling to survive on the streets of Eugene.
Additionally, the Occupy Eugene movement is an exemplary model of a responsible, respectful and successful model of City Government, City Police and organizer cooperation and mutual support: an impressive counterpart to the disgraces that have taken place in New York, Oakland, Portland, Davis and other cities. This relationship has put Eugene on the map in the most positive of lights.
We believe the Occupation is a vital force that is effecting positive change. We believe that it is to the advantage of all Eugenians to provide the Occupation with the resources they need to do our work.
Toward this end, we urge the City Council and Mayor to extend their permits at Washington Jefferson park until _________________
Last edited by jeanstac on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeanstac

Postby jeanstac » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:08 pm

i don't know how many homeless sleep here and how many meals are served a day but that might be good info to add.
jeanstac

Postby jeanstac » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:13 pm

would this need to go thru GA??? should it go thru Weds night? (for holiday market fri and could get it signed at whitaker thanksgiving thing)
does someone want to put it on the agenda or should i? if it is not wordcrafted we could just get approved "a petition to stay til x date" and then wordcraft it later ...they shouldn't care much about the words i would think.
jeanstac

Postby Nancy Forrest » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Is someone going to propose this petition, with the exact wording, at tonight's GA. I will try to be there but probably not until 7:30 pm to be realistic. Is it possible for us to not set a final date, or set the date sometime in the Spring, with a provision that allows for future discussion and indefinite removal of ban at WJP? I think that would strengthen the petition, which after all, direct the Council to do any number of things. I'd shoot for getting at least 1000 signatures but 2000 would dwarf any effort being garnered on the "wipe Occupy Eugene off the face of the earth" side. Ok, that last part was a dark joke, but there is at least one petition that I am aware of (on line, started by Jennifer Clark) that when I last checked, had 100 signers. Petitions are all about generating big numbers. Let people show flat out support for an indefinite occupation because it is the right thing to do and the City of Eugene is being buried by needs and cynical citizenry. Occupy Eugene does everything the petition claims and more: it allows Eugene a dignified response to its own shameful lack of ability to solve this problem before Occupy Eugene came along. Isn't that called Win-Win?
Nancy Forrest

Postby jeanstac » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:46 pm

i rewrote the petition and it is in circulation now. (What Big John wants, Big John gets....) Jamil will post it online, too. IF you print it (or get a printed one from me) PLEASE be sure to give it to me when completed so they don't get lost. i can be reached at 541-870-2580 to arrange a pickup....jean (see new petition wording below) The real petition has room for names and addresses (which are important).

PETITION TO THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL OF EUGENE, OR

We the undersigned request that the City of Eugene continue to partner with Occupy Eugene to provide a safe community to the hundreds of homeless who have been forced onto the streets due to the economic injustices of our times and who have now found a safe community at the Washington/Jefferson Park Village. The citizens of Eugene have donated to Occupy Eugene: tents, sleeping bags, clothing, temporary building materials, kitchen equipment and sufficient food for the Occupation to cook and serve over a thousand meals a day to the hungry. The Occupy volunteers provide thousands of hours of volunteer work each month. We ask that the City of Eugene continue to make the encampment space available and also provide electricity and water to the site in order to assist the citizens and the volunteers create a more humane existence for the homeless we serve. This will help the Occupation continue to meet the needs of our local homeless while pushing forth with their agenda to address the national problems that cause homelessness and the many other problems of social and economic injustice. We ask that the encampment be supported until we the people, the City of Eugene and Occupy Eugene are able to find a better solution for our fellow citizens who have no homes but those they now make at the Occupy Eugene encampment.
jeanstac

Postby kokomojo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:02 pm

This is a great petition. thanks jean and all. Big John was super pleased. He's got lots of great ideas to keep us busy. That must be why he feeds us.
kokomojo

Return to Actions