Does Action Committee need GA approval before actions?

Organizing protests and camp activities; approving non-OE events to support; working with other groups on actions

Does Action Committee need GA approval before actions?

Postby Ivan DelSol » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Just wondering what the process is for creating actions. Do they all go to the GA? If you changed the name would that have to go to the GA? Does all media distributed at an action go through the GA?
Ivan DelSol

Re: Does Action Committee need GA approval before actions?

Postby emeraldopalite » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:40 pm

I think the purpose of the Actions Committee is to develop and consense on greater OE political actions. And, my understanding is that, although this is not a consensed on agreement, the current way of things is that if someone has an idea of an action to do, it would have to be "approved" by the action committee in order to be an "official" OE action. This is my understanding. . .
emeraldopalite

Postby Ivan DelSol » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:50 pm

That seems like a lot of power to give to a committee!
Ivan DelSol

Postby rickettsia » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:28 pm

The same level of "power" resides in all committees. I've often found that rather than complaining about a lack of power, or concentration of it, that people can step up and take an active role in committees. When they do this they tend to silence their criticisms, realize that notions of power are in actuality reflections of the proportion of work an organizer does, and their complaints of powerlessness are proportional to their own contributions. I've seen this in multiple committees criticized for being secretive or power-wielding. Most of these people come to the meetings, realize how boring they tend to be, and recognize that they aren't really desiring to sacrifice much of their personal time, energy, and existence for others to criticize them over petty notions of power. Hope to see you at a meeting, where words become actions and criticisms become understanding.

Cheers,

Kristen
rickettsia

Postby Ivan DelSol » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Fair enough. I was just surprised.
Ivan DelSol

Return to Actions