Doing Community Good Works To Enhance Public Image

Organizing protests and camp activities; approving non-OE events to support; working with other groups on actions

Doing Community Good Works To Enhance Public Image

Postby JerryB » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Does anyone have any ideas for projects that Occupy could do to enhance our public image? We are already helping the homeless a lot, but that doesn't gain too many points. Some volunteers working for Habitat for Humanity? A food Drive?

Are there any actions we could do to bring in some support from blacks, Latinos, or Native Americans? Do we have any outreach and can we get suggestions from minority leaders?

I think the education forums are a great idea and seem to be very effective. Keep it up!
JerryB

Re: Doing Community Good Works To Enhance Public Image

Postby cswriter1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:25 pm

I am very interested speaking with church groups about Occupy being very similar to the early Christian movement. It is similar to the early Christian movement because Rome was having the same economic problems we are, only then it was slaves doing the work, instead of machines or out sourcing the jobs. Landless people had no means of support, and they came together as we are, to survive the hard times. There is no question our homeless feel as persecuted as the Christians did, and Jesus wouldn't like this.

I want to talk about how during the 1970-80 recession. I worked with a group of homeless to get a camp for the homeless and to protect women and children. I was silenced in public hearings with the threat of being arrested for trespassing, and because we did start attending public hearings and calling media attention to the problem, the police drove the best organizing men out of town, and crushed our efforts. But this time around, we can see what these people are willing to do and that they can run a peaceful camp and can protect the women and children. And we are seeing what people in the community are willing to do help the Occupy people keep things going. Especially older women have brought in food, but I had an older man give me a very good Subway sandwich too. Slowly the kitchen is getting a floor, a refrigerator and a stove. Looks like the story of Jesus and the fish and loaf of bread, too me. It feels just like I imagine an early Christian commune would be, with people caring for each other and the less fortunate.

If we treat each other as Jesus would have us do, or not, is really up to the Christian community. At any time the heavy hand of Rome can come down and throw these people out, depriving those who are camping and working there the resources they need, and opportunity. My granddaughter is one of those people. She lost her job and was slipping into depression. Now she is helping in the kitchen and happy again. It would be a terrible thing to take this away from everyone. Please, help me connect with churches so we can build the understanding of what is happening that is vital to keeping this going.
Only when democracy is defended in the classroom is it defended.
cswriter1

Postby ellibird » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:46 pm

IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTION SEVERAL TIMES THAT WE COULD RAKE FOR PEOPLE....AND THEN TALK WITH THEM. AND, THAT WE COULD RAKE AT THE PARK WE ARE AT, SO THE CITY DOESN'T HAVE TO.

I like this idea. We need rakes to get out all at once, and put away....so they don't go missing.

I know that this is all really nice, and yet, I feel we have such critical needs to pull this occupation together to make it successful, and orderly enough that the city can't deny the ability to create something like this that is sustainable for the long term, so I am hesitant and suggesting people really put all there energy in the community service direction as apposed to outreach and tidying a tighter ship on site.

I love the idea, if we weren't faced with needing more support in higher priority areas.

Elli
ellibird

Postby k brandt » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:37 pm

love that raking idea
k brandt

Postby thomasj » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:33 am

LOVE this idea thread. This kind of activity could continue if we have to take down camp someday :( ... My thought is we could run one of the Egan Warming Centers this winter. Staff a site with Occupy Eugene volunteers, trained of course. I understand that there have been training sessions for the warming centers announced at OE already.

jeff thomas
thomasj

Postby cswriter1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:37 am

I so much hope we come out of this with more housing for the homeless. At least a home for medically needy people. We have so many homeless diabetics, and they can not possibly take good care of themselves without refrigeration for their insulin, and an environment that is conducive to their health. Their condition makes them extra vulnerable to infections. Some do not fully understand what they need to do to care for themselves. That we just dump them on the streets is horrifying.

It is shocking that we leave cancer victims on the streets. Can you imaging being young and knowing you are going to die, because we are spitting up blood, and being left to die on the streets, treated as we street the homeless?

Then there are the people with disabilities. I was one of them. I went from feeling like an Amazon woman who could do anything, to a person with disabilities. It seemed every job in town required having good legs. The fear and grief was overwhelming and ever since, I have wanted a safe place for people dealing with injuries, medical problems, grief.

Then we have many elderly disabled people, who can not compete for work, but can not get disability help, and must wait 3 to 5 years for SSI or Social Security to kick in, than when they get it, it isn't enough for rent. Please, don't blow this off with a statement about all the services we have. Government can not meet the need, but religious places get breaks that need to be applied to charitable efforts to care for each other. We need to come together and work on solutions, so our vulnerable are not left on the streets to be attacked, and loose everything, because they couldn't protect a sleeping bag and change of clothes, or to die with all the pain of social rejection.

I now have a very good life. I am secure and have wonderful friends. Words do not do justice to how differently I experience life now, compared to the frighten time when I thought I would become a bag lady. Even the most primitive people did a better job of caring for each other than we are. Our numbers make us strangers to each other, and makes it easy for us to ignore the individual. We need to help each other through these bad times, instead of abandoning each other, and marginalizing vulnerable and needy people, and shunning them. And remember, "there but for the grace of God go I".
Only when democracy is defended in the classroom is it defended.
cswriter1

Postby Cocobird » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:23 am

YES to the raking idea! when the park people came by to talk with us about their usual plans for leaf blowing in the park, they were very willing to cooperate and try to not interfere with the camp. they did ask if we would be able to rake the park, and suggested they might be able to provide rakes for this!
"ANARCHISM: The philosophy of a new social order based on liberty unrestricted by man-made law; the theory that all forms of government rest on violence, and are therefore wrong and harmful, as well as unnecessary." Emma Goldman
Cocobird

Postby turner_clayton » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone was interested in fixing some of the city sidewalks or streets that are in severe disrepair. we could fill potholes and put concrete in parts of the pavement that have jutted up due to tree roots. I understand that this is only a temporary fix to a much larger problem. And this solution is more of a bandage, but as an occupier and avid longboarder this would make a huge world of difference around the city.
Materials:
concrete
wheel barrow
shovels
water in some sort of container that wont spill and holds multiple gallons
boards to level
trows
Someone WHO KNOWS about concrete to supervise
AND MAN/WOMAN POWER!

What are some ways in which we can give the occupation the credit for the fixing? and is this a good idea even to begin with?
turner_clayton

Return to Actions