OE Actions Branding proposal

Organizing protests and camp activities; approving non-OE events to support; working with other groups on actions

OE Actions Branding proposal

Postby ReidKimball » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:04 am

Samuel J Rutledge's post tonight inspired me to come up with an alternate proposal for branding actions as OE or not.

Anyone can do an OE action with that brand name. People who want OE branding must accept that some of their actions may not be liked by individual members. If they don’t want possible dissent for an action, do not use the OE brand name. OE members must accept that it's OK not to like all actions and if they choose to offer their opinions, do so respectfully by offering constructive critiques that can improve future actions.

OE Actions by default are understood as not having been approved by the OE General Assembly, but are accepted as part of the OE movement which encourages a diversity of clearly non-violent tactics.

OE Actions without GA approval may or may not get promotion by OE Communications, which we'll have to deliberate on whether to promote the action in which some members disagree with.

OE Actions proposed to and approved by the OE GA get the red fucking carpet. Finance support, press releases, press conferences, lots of media attention, etc and the official statement that it was approved by the OE GA.

Also posted on Facebook:
ReidKimball

Re: OE Actions Branding proposal

Postby Carla » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:02 am

At first read, I like it a lot, especially the terminology around "branding."

You might want to think about the word "member," however. Strictly speaking, OE is a non-organization made up of non-members. I like "participants" better.
Carla

Postby Wolfshadow Starshine » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:30 am

I like this idea A LOT better than any proposal that officially divides OE in any kind of way. I also like the term participants b/c IMHO this is the way we "vote" support for any undertaking, by participating. :) Thanks for posting this proposal Reid Kimball.
:idea: I also liked an idea on the FB page that if there is strong dissent in OE regarding an action, OE can simply state that it wasn't approved by the GA & there you have it OE is no longer liable & nobody's name was trashed in the process. I offer this for your consideration. 8-)
Wolfshadow Starshine

Postby samuelrutledge » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:28 pm

I agree, Wolfshadow. My proposal was a draft, trying to get toward something we might all be able to get behind. I think Reid hits a lot closer to the mark than I did.
samuelrutledge

Return to Actions