mental health proposal to GA Agenda

mental health proposal to GA Agenda

Postby davidwoaks » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi,

I've proposed an agenda item for the General Assembly about MENTAL HEALTH.

It's pretty simple... That Occupy Eugene co-sponsor a teach-in forum about mental health system, the movement to change the mental health system, alternatives, etc.

What do you think? What's your opinion?

Someone told me, "I'm not sure Occupy can make this it's top issue." I'm not suggesting it be a TOP issue, just ONE of the key issues to explore.

And it's actually fate, the past two months, that has forced 'mental health' as one of the top issues, not just at Occupy Eugene, but in camps all over the USA. A movement to bring together all movements, needs to know about the 42-year-old international movement to help democracy CHANGE the mental health system.

You can read more about the proposal here:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=629

what do you think?
davidwoaks

Re: mental health proposal to GA Agenda

Postby Majeska » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:12 pm

David, thanks for all that information and INSPIRATION. I think it's a great proposal and plan to be at GA to support it. I'll also be hoping the upcoming city task force on unhoused is open to new ideas and approaches related to this. It may be up to MFI/OE-supportive folks, at the table and in the audience and on the email lists, to bring it up and organize for it.
Majeska

Postby Carla » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:38 am

I would hope that any forum sponsored by OE would have a balance of perspectives. There are so many players in the field, both from traditional/medical models, and from innovative/alternative models. There is a whole lot of overlap, as well. It would be great to explore where the current gaps are, and how support for vulnerable folks can be improved.
Carla

Postby davidwoaks » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks Majeska and Carla.

Carla, good point about welcoming a variety of perspectives, which is why I see this as a forum.

Please note in the proposal I made sure to say:

"The proposed teach-in will be a safe and open place to learn what activists have done to question the mental health system, and what has been learned."

By 'safe and open place' the proposal is meant to welcome a variety of perspectives.

That said.... Think for a moment if this was about, say, an introductory workshop Bank of America. While of course a forum ought to be sure to air what Bank of America's perspective is.... there will also be a hope that Occupy Eugene community will be taking the side of the '99 percent.'

Martin Luther King said he didn't CREATE conflict... he said the civil rights movement REVEALED tension that was already present.

Same thing here.

The thing about a variety of perspectives, is that historically the perspective that tends to be missing is actually the voice of mental health consumers, psychiatric survivors and their groups!

For 35 years, I've seen well-meaning people caution progerssive groups that these issues are complex, there are many sides, etc. Yes, sure, I agree. But also it's time to speak up for justice and social change in this field. A lot of times in progressive circles we turn to our friends who actually work in the industry for advice, or who have relatives in the mental health system. Okay. Their perspectives are welcome.

But now it's also time to hear from the groups representing mental health consumers and survivors of psychiatric industry abuse.

For more info on tonight's proposal see:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=629
davidwoaks

Return to Mental Health Support