Creative Community Conversations

Creative Community Conversations

Postby davidhazen » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:34 pm

I volunteer to convene of a series of "Creative Community Conversations" on the topics related to homelessness and the Occupation.

My Goal: beloved community, i.e. mutual understanding and compassion. In this regard, the Harris Hall event, "Occupy Eugene in Context" was extraordinarily successful, and I totally 100% support doing this again as soon as possible.

For example, I think it would be interesting to begin the next conversation with sharing of personal stories from the homeless youth (what was your life like before the Occupation, what is it like now, and how do you explain the difference?) --- followed by a S>W>O>T analysis (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats) of the Occupation by the city councilors opposed to it, plus a few other business and home owners who may be upset by it, Chief Kerns, Lt. Sam Kamkar, Neighborhood Association Leaders, PLUS the Occupants themselves and their supporters, all of it facilitated by someone who can get past the opinions and judgments down to the real unmet needs of all concerned. I'm open to brainstorming on this.

I would be glad to reserve a venue, line up facilitators & participants, send out publicity, etc. I think Harris Hall makes the most sense right now, although I can imagine some other places that would work, round buildings like the Unitarian Church, Wheeler Pavilion, or semi-circular ones like First Christian Church. I am thinking that a centralized fishbowl or panel is amenable to a video broadcast. The smaller group is then processing questions on behalf of the larger audience which is invited to queue up for rotating participation in the small group. I would ask Stephen Fantl of PeaceDayTV to stream it live over the internet. He lives here in Eugene. I am totally confident if we did this we would light up the world. The first discussion that we had with the City Manager and Chief of Police brought out 100% agreement on the goal of win-win solutions. Let's build on that.
David Hazen
Imagineer, Eugene City of Peace
innercom [at] peak.org

541-520-6621
davidhazen

Re: Creative Community Conversations

Postby Ivan DelSol » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:08 am

I'm into it. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit!
Ivan DelSol

Postby Tree Knowlton » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:40 am

I like it. I'd help.
Tree Knowlton

Postby davidhazen » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:06 am

City Club program committee is conducting a community conversation about Occupy on Monday Nov. 28 at Cozmic Pizza, with 3 Occupants and 3 responders including audience participation and dialog. Dan Bryant will facilitate and there will be video coverage.

Eugene City of Peace (me + ll others) is sponsoring similar community conversations for two Mondays, Dec. 5 & 12, at Harris Hall from 6 to 7 PM. We will invite city councilors for the 5th. 3 homeless youth will share their stories.

David 541-520-6621 or innercom [at] peak.org
David Hazen
innercom [at] peak.org

541-520-6621
davidhazen

Postby davidhazen » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:08 am

Next meeting of the City of Peace team is Tuesday November 22, 3:30 PM in the dome at the Occupation (tip: bring a chair or pillow).
David Hazen
innercom [at] peak.org

541-520-6621
davidhazen

Postby Ross » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:55 am

it seems that there is a huge number of folks in our City and County that will soon be facing "homelessness". The goal of the newly being formed "Neighborhood Action Committee" is to address the problem of foreclosure and take action against them. Would you be interested in speaking to such an effort?
Ross

Return to Community Outreach