01.30.2012 Actions Notes

Please post all committee meeting minutes in this forum. Arrange them by Year, Month and Day (e.g., Communications Minutes 10/20/2011)

01.30.2012 Actions Notes

Postby ReidKimball » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:31 pm

01.30.2012 Actions Notes
Attendees: reid, ann, art, carla, michael, bret, ross, helen, shelley, louise, john, alley, ben, jim, larry, james, mary
Facilitator: Art
Minutes: Reid
Agenda
• Ross Feb 1st occupy legislature
• Ross Friday action in Portland NDAA
• Anne new action a few weeks
• Helen, George poling’s house action, alley no deadline
• Marcus’ flag action ??
• Shelley has ideas from Nancy
o Rally in Salem feb 20th
o Education reform, soon
o Nurses strike, soon
o April 15th tax day
o Single payer health care plan
o Future bank/foreclosure action
• Change meeting times
• Anne wants to talk about actions process
• Bret new action can wait until next
Announcements
• Ben from Cascadia Forest Def
"Feb. 14 is the next meeting of the State Land Board in Salem. This body comprised of Kitzhaber, Wheeler and Brown is the governing body of state forests including our dear Elliott State Forest. Last meeting we had a large rally, street theater, speeches the like AND THEY STILL DECIDED TO ALMOST DOUBLE THE CLEAR - CUTTING. We are not happy. We are asking people to come out on the 14th - its Valentines day and nothing makes me want to do direct action more then Valentines day. We are gonna be rowdy. We are not going to raise our hands. Show up with your own plans or come to Cascadia Forest Defense Meeting 5 on Fridays at the Growers Market to plug in. See you all soon."
• Carla wants to occupy a forest this summer
• Ross Feb 1st Occupy Legislature
o Ross going up WED, has room for a few people
• Ross Friday action in Portland NDAA
Jean suggested using a text alert in case a nurses strike needed action.
Art wants to talk about communications change.
Michael and Jim will getting paper to write action events on a calendar.
Occupy Legislature - Ross transformed into a Tent Monster and asked everyone to join him in Salem. *Applause*
No really, this happened. He built a Tent Monster while we were setting up the agenda, then when it was time for him to talk about Occupy Legislature he climbed into the tent and then spoke to us all as a Tent Monster.
Ross point of contact for helping people get info/rides up to Salem. 541 225 8486 and email
Nancy re Nurses Strike – issue is an erosion in healthcare benefits to nurses and don’t want to accept the new terms of the contract. Would like OE Actions to endorse the strike and support it.
John recommends working with both comm and actions to develop a plan to get the info out asap.
ACTION CONSENT to support nurses strike. John and art will work with Nancy to get info. We may already have text on our website and Crabgrass Comm.
John will talk to Michael about an idea for nurses strike.
If a bargaining unit wants to strike in this economy it must be for a big reason.
NDAA action in Portland on Friday, ross committed to going.
John volunteers to work with Ross to forward actions found on Facebook to actions email list, crabgrass.
Ross and John will coordinate support to ndaa Portland.
ACTION CONSENT to approving Portland NDAA.
Reid – comm and actions need to get together to figure out working together better. Comm posts on website outside actions much more readily than OE actions.
Nancy talks about Education day of action feb 20th.
People might be able to get seats on bus to join others to lobby gov.
Nancy would like OE Actions to support this action, so that OE Comm can publicize.
ACTIONS CONSENT in expressing support for Feb 20th education action in Salem.
OE Comm can promote this education action.
More info at http://www.facebook.com/oeib
Ann’s action – homeless need lockers to store possessions which get in their way of looking for work and doing other things.
Idea is to borrow shopping carts, carry signs on the issue of where they put their things,
The outcome is to have lockers so homeless can store their items in a secure safe way.
Alley volunteers to help Ann plan this action of shopping cart parade.
Louise have a card/check in system for the homeless.
Ann, next meeting is Saturday at either 2 or 4p.
Helen, we should protest more the money the city paid to have George poling’s fence. $13,000 dollars.
Bret recommends people talk with Helen if they want to plan another action at polings.
Nancy – ESSN sweatshop campaign, would OE Actions to come up with specific independent actions?
ACTION CONSENT to support sweatshop actions.
John – prisons are sweatshops, call centers, making license plates, very low pay.
Nancy there is an Oregon statute that prevents UO from pulling association with Nike.
Nancy – we have another action, for single player health care campaign. There is an absence of youth in the singlepayer movement. Would like OE to work with ESSN for healthcare.
ACTION CONSENT to support the single payer healthcare campaign with ESSN.
There is an organization “Singlepayer Oregon” that is a collection of Healthcare for All Oregon and other orgs.
John announcement – Occupy Portland members want a national event to how Occupy moves forward, OP Antonio and Jamie. March 15th through 18th in Portland, OR.
Nancy suggests that people join occupy Portland.
Bret would like to move meeting times.
John – this meeting is 2hrs, moving to 6pm would conflict with coordinator meeting at 7p.
Bret is point person to
Louisa - anti nuclear, april 15th to occupy premise of nuclear plant. Wants a memorial ceremony in march of fukashima.


  • ACTION CONSENT to support nurses strike. John and art will work with Nancy to get info. We may already have text on our website and Crabgrass Comm.
  • ACTIONS CONSENT in expressing support for Feb 20th education action in Salem.
  • ACTION CONSENT to support sweatshop actions.
  • ACTION CONSENT to support the single payer healthcare campaign with ESSN.
ReidKimball
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:41 am

Return to Committee Meeting Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron