Page 1 of 1

GA Minutes 3-20-12

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:23 am
by Martin C
GA Minutes 3-20-12
Facilitator: Perry
Minutes: Martin

OPENING MORALE
INTRO RAP
AGENDA REVIEW
COMMITTEE REPORTS
NEW GROUPS?
P: STATEMENT OF OPPOSITION
P: STATEMENT OF SOLIDARITY (Art)
P: QUORUM CLARIFICATION (John F.)
MOVING FORWARD/LOOKING BACK EVENT (Rob)
DISCUSSION: POST OEV (Smuj--actually Martin presented)
GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
FEEDBACK/CLOSING

INTRO RAP: Perry described himself as a servant of the group. Asked permission to be facilitator.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:
FORECLOSURES: NOON AT GROWERS, WEDNESDAYS 5 AT GROWERS. bill passed recently. need help. come see them. getting foreclosures stopped, help us
COMM COMM: Sundays 12 to 4, thursdays 5:30 to 7:
OUTREACH: OPEN HOUSE SATURDAY 2 TO 4, ad in weekly, please come.
VISIONING: Saturday 2 pm meetings in April will look at holistic views of the world.
LIBRARY, Sunday 4 to 7, discussion nights. Currently discussing diversity of tactics. Will be discussing racial privilege in May.
meets Wednesdays 12 to 2 Scotty Perey’s place.
ACTIONS: 6:30 to 8:30 Occupation Education Wednesdays. Doing work plan, action plan, accountability. Talk about eventually focusing on one or 2 big campaigns via GA.
About a month ago, started talking about big bank plan. Bank of America, because worst, & weak.
OPPORTUNITY EUGENE, homeless task force, last meeting Friday, last big meeting Tuesday. Most Occupy ideas going to emerge for long-term village, downtown day center & to have ordinances reviewed, and to have work to have people more respectful of homeless & for homeless to understand being respectful of some of needs of downtown.
Safeway at 18th & Oak, 4:30 Thursday March 29. UFCW petitions. Talk to Art.
City of Eugene union issues might be coming.
FACILITATION: Talked about quorum clarification
OE MEDICAL: New doctor started last Sunday, on board, experienced with free clinics. Helps other doctors. Sue needs replacement too. Haircuts available, best if clean, longish hair for locks of love. 12 to 4 Sundays 7th & Pearl at Federal Building. Chiropractor. Massage/bodywork day coming soon. Help needed to get dentists & hygienists. Need people experienced writing grants. Outreach to young families needed. Putting up a donations list. Trying to offer holistic approach. Want to cure this sick thing called American medicine. Medical being good makes it o.k. for the rest of us to be ornery.

P: STATEMENT OF OPPOSITION (to Capstone Project, a proposed downtown development)
Jean: moral stand, we don’t want Eugene to keep bringing in businesses that only will come in with tax breaks. All from out of state. No point.
-Will be in-closed space. Will be no public admission to building except if accompanied by resident. Anti-commons. Access through bureaucracy we have no control over.
Why need a thousand parking spaces in downtown
A simple action would be school districs
Call to question: From last meeting minutes: Outcome: “Occupy Eugene General Assemblies opposes tax subsidies for the Capstone Project.”
Consensus: stand asides or blocks. 1 with reservations. Torn because more people should live downtown.
Meeting consensus at 2 GAs, statement is confirmed.

STATEMENT OF SOLIDARITY (ART)
From 3-9-12 minutes: “The OccupyEugene General Assembly strongly condemns the criminalization of dissent. We stand in solidarity with other Occupations that have experienced politically motivated repression, and with our own members who have experienced police harassment and false accusations of violence. We reaffirm the St. Paul principles and the solidarity they represent.” Statement had passed without the last sentence at that meeting. At subsequent meetings there had apparently been discussion about whether to put that sentence back in, and had passed with the substitution of OWS principles for St. Paul’s Principles.
OWS principles:
http://www.nycga.net/resources/principl ... olidarity/
Principles of SolidarityTranslations: Los principios de solidaridad On September 17, 2011, people from all across the United States of America and the world came to protest the blatant injustices of our times perpetuated by the economic and political elites.  On the 17th we as individuals rose up against political disenfranchisement and social and economic injustice.  We spoke out, resisted, and successfully occupied Wall Street.  Today, we proudly remain in Liberty Square constituting ourselves as autonomous political beings engaged in non-violent civil disobedience and building solidarity based on mutual respect, acceptance, and love.  It is from these reclaimed grounds that we say to all Americans and to the world, Enough!  How many crises does it take?  We are the 99% and we have moved to reclaim our mortgaged future.Through a direct democratic process, we have come together as individuals and crafted these principles of solidarity, which are points of unity that include but are not limited to:
▪ Engaging in direct and transparent participatory democracy;
▪ Exercising personal and collective responsibility;
▪ Recognizing individuals’ inherent privilege and the influence it has on all interactions;
▪ Empowering one another against all forms of oppression;
▪ Redefining how labor is valued;
▪ The sanctity of individual privacy;
▪ The belief that education is human right; and
▪  Making technologies, knowledge, and culture open to all to freely access, create, modify, and distribute. (amendment passed by consensus 2/9/2012)
We are daring to imagine a new socio-political and economic alternative that offers greater possibility of equality.  We are consolidating the other proposed principles of solidarity, after which demands will follow.”

Jean: concerned about talking about OWS principles when not before them (minutes-taker was looking them up)
Art: Wants to take that out, bring SPP back in.
-topic had already used up allotted time.
Jean proposes working group bring something back to GA.
Martin suggested we agree to what we agree to and move on.

SPP was decided on long ago. Big discussion we need to have, will take a long time.
Really wants to learn more about SPP principles in environment where people were explaining what they mean by them, not lecturing them about not agreeing with their interpretation. She has been bullied several times by people with several viewpoints about them. We are in year 0. Beginning. We need to stop to find out if different people understand words in the same way. If we come up with agreement in a GA we need to codify it, make list of stuff if we figure out what it means so we don’t have to have ridiculous discussions about the minutes.
Jean suggests that facilitation find a good explanation for SPP & a good explanation for OWS principles, schedule meeting for when lots of people are here so we can get to at least a 90% consensus. Email to John will make copies.
-clarification that we can pass it with OWS principles.
Art: Table it (with understanding he will bring it back with SPP)
Concern: process isn’t clear.
But harmless when we’re just tabling it.


QUORUM “CLARIFICATION”
A GA with fewer than 22 people may make only the following decisions:
Decide decisions applicable only to that meeting
place items on future GA agendas
Establish or amend a prospective decision.
Ratify a prospective decision established at a previous GA. language must be the same as passed at a previous GA
key hiccup was about same language or not same language.
Above wording was seen as confusing.

John F. read this alternative:
A GA WITH FEWER THAN 22 PEOPLE MAY MAKE DECISIONS APPLICABLE ONLY TO THAT MEETING. OTHER PROPOSALS MAY BE ENACTED ONLY IF THE SAME PROPOSAL ACHIEVED CONSENSUS AT A PREVIOUS GA, AND THE MINUTES OF THE GA WERE PUBLISHED IN THE FORUM.

Suggestion: should be at “the” previous meeting, instead of a previous meeting.
Not agreed to. Kept “a previous meeting” for now.
Understood that previous decision and minutes established that the minutes needed to be on forum 48 hours before a GA for it to confirm a decision. Understood that all this is about meetings without a quorum. None of this curtails what a GA with a quorum can do.

CONSENSUS REACHED: A GA WITH FEWER THAN 22 PEOPLE MAY MAKE DECISIONS APPLICABLE ONLY TO THAT MEETING. OTHER PROPOSALS MAY BE ENACTED ONLY IF THE SAME PROPOSAL ACHIEVED CONSENSUS AT A PREVIOUS GA, AND THE MINUTES OF THE GA WERE PUBLISHED IN THE FORUM.
1 stand aside: Art: we haven’t passed anything since quorum requirement. this damages the integrity of the organization. Won’t support without removing quorum requirement.
Jean wants proposal (& all proposals) on a piece of paper in the future.

MOVING FORWARD/LOOKING BACK EVENT: Rob, Brett
Visioning committee would work on event for purpose of looking back at what worked, what didn’t, etc. Want to see how much enthusiasm there is for that. 2nd part is, once we have information about this, we can work on moving forward, work on healing, work forward. Also visioning has always been tasked with visions. Want to be tasked by GA to keep doing that.
?What style of facilitation do you want to use? Rob: we should look through many kinds of processes we’ve used and find one that fits for us.
Comment: get with SUGAR group to talk with them about that. Has been developing techniques, doing trials.
Comment: doesn’t see it as a visioning thing. Sees Sugar as already has a process going. Join them than work on this. Brett: we have talked with everyone in Sugar. Seen as a reunion, OE reunion.
Jean: thinks it’s hiding conflict, expert facilitation needed, will have either something only on the surface, or something very emotionally troubling.
comment: is visioning. doesn’t solve problems, but join strands.
Concerned that they are intimate conversations.
But what about finding out why people have fled.
We know why people fled. Checklist: problems with camp, actions, concerns about how discussions happened..
Doesn’t want those problems to be swept under rug, wants them to be solved in intimate ways. Too much hurt & messiness. Smaller format better, more intimate, should be with sugar. After that it would be great to talk about this.
Intend to circulate a questionaire. The process takes a lot of time. We need to rise above go forward.
Unclarity about event. If it’s to resolve past, needs to be more intimate. If it’s healing after you take out sliver, than it makes perfect sense. At one stage do we move from one to another, right now we don’t have enough information we need to move forward. Need to understand if timing is right, not sure.
Temp check: some showed they liked it, others showed neutrality.
2nd temp check, who is wiling to help: 6 or 7 hands.

POST OEV: We need to figure out how to get everything out of here, and where it’s going. Other functions of the building need to move.
Rumor says legal/research looking at other buildings.
Legal/research is not looking at other buildings (according to Jean). They are looking at occupying spaces, temporarily, through the warm months, and at indoor spaces next winter. Not looking at solving immediate indoor needs, such as storage.
We should start a working group to work on other locations if we do need another location.
Temp check on working group: some support.
Start a land fund: whether used for a space in town or not in town, will need resources for occupation of space no matter what style that takes.
Occupy is about claiming commons.
Helen has given us a great gift. We should try our best to get out of here with no trace.
Lots of crap upstairs. Must be worked on.
Do we need all the crap? Or don’t we? Should we give it away?
We need 2 working groups, 1 work on stuff to get it ready for move.
Other 2 consider move to camp or other inside place.
Need to work on both groups, get people signed up.
Take tents and use them. Use our resources.

One working group: find out where stuff will move, & work on where to take it & move it.
Someone else can work on longterm plans, outside plans.
Meeting time: Saturday 5 p.m. (right after open house).

CONSENSUS: we work together well in committees, poorly in GA. we need to appreciate consensus, not block stuff. only supposed to block if it will ruin the movement. should be just 2 blocks in lifetime. idea is to get closer to understanding each other, not to get people sold on our ideas.


ANNOUNCEMENTS:
No Nukes: Tuesdays Cozmic pizza come for luncheon about radiation in NW. Had beautiful ceremony at Hanford on Fukushima Day. Marshall Islands people with people of our area. Contact Louisa.
No coal Eugene initiative on crabgrass get link to google docs.
Finds that meetings have become easier to facilitate.
OWLS website: link to our own Tree Bressen’s website.