OE GA 11/28/2011 minutes

Please post all general assembly meeting minutes here. Arrange them by Year, Month and Day (e.g., Minutes GA 10/20/2011).

OE GA 11/28/2011 minutes

Postby Luke Novak » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:59 pm

7PM GA 11/28/11

Ben sang his “We Are the Strong” for morale. Sam facilitated.

Collective Vision statement report. Luke passed out a three drafts, one addressing the physical location addressed to the Eugene city council, one a vision statement, and third which is a set of goals. We are reviewing the draft of the City Council statement tonight. John Flanery read through it and people commented.

Concerns: needs to address greed. Concern about whether we should be trying to change other governments, or just stand in solidarity with other Occupy movements. Stylistic challenge to par 3. Concern that the phrase “We the people is the government” isn't accurate. Concern that we need to be more clear about what Occupy is really trying to do.

Possibility of submitting the statement for an op ed, but it's too long in present form. Concern that it needs severe editing; 4th and 6th paragraphs are strongest. City Council wants to hear what we're about.

Concern that it needs to be less abrasive without losing the integrity of our message. Assertive, not aggressive. Complaints should be addressed more to the larger problems than local government. Maybe say “As a society we need to stop ignoring the root causes of homelessness.”

We can say “All we need is some land and water and electricity....”

People at the City Club strongly supported keeping the camp open until summer. Rather than the homeless being a problem, they seem to be becoming the main reason for preserving the camp.

There will be a lot of homeless people loose on the town if the camp closes. The “band-aid” paragraph might be superfluous.

We are self-contained. Should list all the many services provided here- particularly the culture of consensus and the team of facilitators being trained. We are naturally assimilating people with mental/emotional issues who seem to at least be happier.

People are saying that we can keep Occupy going without the camp. That's why we need to emphasize that the site is critical and that “the Occupation is the message”. Our settlement is the physical manifestation of the larger movement; it's a necessary metaphor. Other words for camp: “encampment” or “settlement”.

“The occupy community is the message.”

END OF GA, no decisions made.
Luke Novak

Re: OE GA 11/28/2011 minutes

Postby mike » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:54 am

" Rather than the homeless being a problem, they seem to be becoming the main reason for preserving the camp."
I have to wonder if we are truly helping or enabling the homeless.
mike

Postby mtnrubies » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:01 am

Mike, I hear your concern, but I don't see the criticism of Occupy enabling disempowered populations to continue being disempowered as at all constructive.
Your comment suggests that this population has a choice and that's vastly unfair.
Saying Occupy enables the homeless population suggests that if the camp was not there, that they would have some opportunity to make their lives better that they are not taking as part of Occupy. That's simply bullshit (not to be inflammatory toward you at all - I'm just so angry that this idea is so dominant that my anger at the idea itself comes through here). I argue this population needs MORE help than what we have to offer right now and that's why this situation seems problematic.

Where students who need help plugging in to their classes need tutors, and politicians who need help plugging into the political system go to college, we all need help in learning how to participate in our society. I suggest that this population is in need of physical help (warm shelter, food, medical care) and that they're in need of emotional support (for mental health issues like ptsd, schizophrenia, or simply being REALLY pissed off and wounded emotionally by our society) AND that they need community support to learn what it means to be a part of an integrated community (just like the rest of us right now). Some people more easily see what needs to be done and these are our leaders - that's you Mike and everyone at the GA. We need to remember we also need to be leaders as compassionate teachers helping others to join us.

Since the beginning of the United States we have been a people segregated in terms of class, race, ability, religion, education levels, and profession. We have been a divided society SINCE DAY 1. NONE of us knows how to make the community ethic (I am he is you are he is you are me and we are all together) work in this society across these segregations (which by they way are internal - classism prevents poor people from sharing stories with rich people. Walls don't keep us apart, our culture in our minds keeps us apart). With the framework of proud individualism giving us all meaning right now, we need to begin to see how we all simply are people living together that need to start talking, sharing stories, sharing needs, and compromising with each other. Some groups have been making this transition from individualism to a communal life where the individual is valued AND community is valued, and they are testing the communal waters. Permaculture groups, organic farms, the Transitions movement and co-ops are all making this shift happen, and many of us who even are not homeless who try to plug into these groups find it very difficult to know what to do and how to interact. It can be very uncomfortable and frightening to change culture like this.

Rather than asking 'are we enabling a group of non-contributors to continue not contributing' we need to be asking, why does each person not feel ownership of this movement? Why do they not identify as "occupy Eugene?" Do they know they are welcome to participate? Do they know how to participate and when?
What help are they not receiving that they need?

We MUST reframe this issue in Eugene to be one of asking ourselves, as Occupy Eugene, how can we provide the genuine support for each other that we need to build a community WHILE we also provide the support for the homeless population that they need so that they can join us.
mtnrubies

Postby mike » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:10 am

First, I understand there are no easy answers.
what will happen dec. 15? Maybe this is time we should be using to truly help the homeless. We don’t have the resources within this camp. Shelters do have connections to such things as transitional housing, drug rehab, counseling and clinics.

Most shelters need donation and volunteers. Maybe we need to work on changing our little corner of the world before changing the world. If we became involved we could be the change we are looking for.
mike

Postby Ganapoes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:43 am

what will happen dec. 15? Maybe this is time we should be using to truly help the homeless. We don’t have the resources within this camp. Shelters do have connections to such things as transitional housing, drug rehab, counseling and clinics.
Ganapoes

Return to GA Meeting Minutes