GA Minutes 10-28-11

Please post all general assembly meeting minutes here. Arrange them by Year, Month and Day (e.g., Minutes GA 10/20/2011).

GA Minutes 10-28-11

Postby emeraldopalite » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Occupy Eugene PM General Assembly Meeting Minutes 10-28-11

Facilitator: Karen
Minutes By: Jennefer Harper
Livestreamer: Sam Rutledge
Stacker: Guy
Sign Holder: John Flannery

Agenda:
Morale (5 min)
Agenda Review/Intro (5 min)
Committee Reports (12 min)
New Committees/Working Groups Forming (10)
Communication Committee Protocols (30) TABLED
Grand Assembly (15)
Separation of the roles of Evening & Morning GA’s (30)
Announcements (12)
Morale (5)

Moral:
Chester read the OWS Declaration of Occupation. Paul sings us a nice song as he strums his guitar.
Intro:
The facilitator reminded us of our process for making decisions and asks for support. Reminder of hand signals was reviewed. Please remember to listen, cooperate, and find solutions to concerns.
Committee Reports:
Moral-
We have pumpkins to care! Bring a knife. Put seeds in the bucket. We will cook & eat them later. These are political pumpkins. We will take them to Pumpkins on 5th and share with the world!
Communication-
Saturday 11 am @ library = meeting.
Systemic Change Working Group meeting at 4pm in the library.
Guided mediation at 10 am in the study hall which is next to the OE library.
University/Educational Alliance-
We are meeting at 4pm onsite. We want to inform the educational community about Occupy. Starting with college level. Hopes to include/address public K-12 in the future.
Medical-
We have a need for water! Right now, we are getting our water from the Indian restaurant. So, be thankful! UO might donate some water to us. Medical shelves need to be found. Have you seen them? The tent closes at 10/11 pm. We might have electricity by Saturday. We need donations of warm stuff, including underwear.
Engineering-
We are proud of everyone! But, where did everyone go? We lost most of our stuff and people. We need: tools, building materials, tarp & cordage. We plan to make a Supply Tent next to the Info Booth. Please don’t assume you can use unattended tarps without asking. 4pm meeting on Saturday.
Kitchen-
Opens Saturday morning. We need help with dishes. Clean up your mess!
Legal-
The Legal Research Location Committee will meet Sunday, time & location TBA. Check info booth for more info. Look on the website forums and you can find a list of all the sites that have been researched and considered. There are pics and pro’s and con’s of each. Sunday we sill start a discussion of a permanent location. Anyone is welcomed to this open meeting. The City, UO, & city council will be included in this discussion. The final decision of where is up to the GA. Lauren is our lawyer. She is our “servant,” she is not the decider. She wants us to be aware of the legal equations because they are important. The UO has agreed to NO ARRESTS for occupying. UO has even given us lights & other benefits but there is also lots of UO resistance to our present on their property. How long can we stay here? Let’s figure this out & where we will move to. Monday 8:30 am was the original deadline for occupying in current site. But, many feel this is too soon and need more time. UO concerned over liability and risks. The UO is resistant to us staying until Friday. Let’s have lots of informal discussions, meet in committee, and come back to the GA after Sunday’s committee meeting with a proposal. Saturday we will begin discussing when the move can happen.
The UO did a walk through. We need to keep 3-6 feet away from swails (Bio-swails which are a natural sewage area. The pumps are off. This isn’t pee and poop sewage, the other kind.) If it rains and floods, water will flood out 2 – 3 feet. There is plastic fencing which shows “off limits” spaces in the park. Please be respectful of nature.
We have generators, but they get HOT! No flammables on or near them.
Btw, there will be another Know Your Rights Training about 3/4pm sometime soon. Stay tuned.
Don’t drink the water on the ground here. This is a dog park so giardiasis (infection of the intestine with a flagellate protozoan, which causes diarrhea and other symptoms. • The protozoan is Giardia lamblia, phylum Metamonada, kingdom Protista) might be a result.
Important: Leave the “memorial” trees alone. You can tell these by the plaque next to them.
The Sunday meeting will be announced via website and chalkboard in the info booth (Update: 10/30 4-6pm downstairs of the EMU on UO campus, the Multicultural Center).

Children’s Committee-
Quiet camp is over there (points to the left). This is a good place to camp if you want/need a quiet zone. Please be respectful. Creative Care donated toys!!!! Yay!!! We need more families and kids here. At 3pm, Friday, Kids Camp will have a banner painting party. Come!

Elder’s Committee-
Safety is important. We must also clean up after ourselves!!

Peace Keeping-
They are here to help us. Safety is a community responsibility. Mic check “Peace Keeper” if you need support. They are not security, they are our friends. If you are interested in attending some de-escalation trainings, check the info booth for posting.
Side Note: If you want events posted on the website calendar, email Sam Rutledge. His email contact is in the info booth.

Library-
They got a pop up tent!! Let’s practice the good neighbor manners. Go to Louie’s Restaurant so we can build good relations with the small businesses next to us.
Announcement: Tomorrow is a Duck homecoming game. Watch out for people who may be drunk.

New Committees:
Communist/Socialist Society- Aaron is a communist and he wants to talk with people. He wants to meet after the meeting in the Healing Hut.

Education Space at Park Blocks Committee-
Getch wants interested people to meet Sunday at 2pm to discuss ideas/strategies.

Grand Assembly-
Let’s get together for unstructured discussion for about 2 hours before our General Assemblies. We need to consider the need to have our voices heard vs. the need to be efficient in our meetings.
This Grand Assembly could meet on Saturdays before our PM GA.
What about more open forums that happen daily?
Discussion took place regarding the ideas, benefits, consequences, and how to decide.
Proposal: We will hold Grand Assemblies every Saturday (beginning November 5th) from 4 – 6 pm, allow a one hour break, and reconvene from 7-9 pm for the General Assembly. CONSENSED
This proposal will go back to the facilitation committee in order to sort out the logistics. Communication Committee would like to support outreach and PR.
This should help support voices being heard and business getting done.
This Saturday (29th) We will have a dry run from 1-3 pm.

Proposal: We will separate our decision making duties between the AM General Assembly and the PM General Assembly whereas the AM GA will make decisions regarding internal camping issues and the PM GA will make decisions regarding political action movement issues. CONSENSED
[Full text of formal proposal drafted and presented by Lauren Regan here:
Bifurcation of agenda items and decision-making to AM and PM General Assemblies. With the recognition that many Occupy community members are not able to attend both the AM and PM General Assembly Meetings, and in an effort to utilize our time together as effectively as possible, and to prevent one General Assembly (GA) from repealing or overturning the decisions made by the other GA, the following proposal is set forth:

(1) AM General Assemblies will primarily deal with internal occupation living issues such as sanitation, kitchen, occupation site maintenance and division of labor, noise issues, smoking, some security/peacekeeping issues, and any other issue that pertains to quality of life issues within the encampment. AM GAs can present proposals and concense upon decisions that pertain to these general areas. AM GAs can, of course, discuss any issue it agrees to discuss at the AM GA, but decision-making may be deferred to the PM GA.

(2) If the decision under consideration does not pertain to the above described areas of interest, see subpart (1); or if the AM GA agrees that the proposal may violate the St. Paul Principles of Unity, or the Occupy Eugene Principles of Safety (not sure if that is the official name for the policies pertaining to violence, alcohol, etc.), the AM GA shall present the proposal and the decision to the PM GA. After entertaining questions or clarifications, if someone in the PM GA indicates they would have blocked the decision, another consensus decision making process should take place. If the PM GA reaches consensus or 90% consensus regarding the proposal at issue, the decision is final.

(3) PM General Assemblies will primarily deal with external occupation issues such as outreach, protests, public relations, legal/research updates, visioning, demands, goals and strategic planning. Brief committee reports shall be provided in order to update the Occupation community on goals, ongoing work, next meetings, and challenges. All committees will continue to try and provide the info booth and website forums with updated committee meeting minutes and members are encouraged to learn committee details and updates from those sources.
[With the anticipation that this proposal will abbreviate the length of GA's, it is the drafter's recommendation that each evening GA include a brief presentation, skill-share, or training for the entire GA on topics related to Occupy's work.]

(2) If the decision under consideration does not pertain to the above described areas of interest, see subpart (3); or if the PM GA agrees that the proposal may violate the St. Paul Principles of Unity, or the Occupy Eugene Principles of Safety (not sure if that is the official name for the policies pertaining to violence, alcohol, etc.), the PM GA shall present the proposal and the decision to the AM GA. After entertaining questions or clarifications, if someone in the AM GA indicates they would have blocked the decision, another consensus decision making process should take place. If the AM GA reaches consensus or 90% consensus regarding the proposal at issue, the decision is final. PM GAs can, of course, discuss any issue it agrees to discuss at the PM GA, but decision-making may be deferred to the AM GA.]

The previous agreement was not clearly recorded in the minutes.
Discussion took place including a couple friendly amendments were suggested but not consensed on. There was a divergent discussion regarding time of the AM meetings.
Suggestions: Both GA’s report back to each other.
Point of clarification: Facilitation Committee has not been setting the AM agenda.

Announcements:
Do we have any smoking areas? Please, not in public spaces. We haven’t designated one yet.
The sound of one hand clapping = an occupation without a protest.
How about an art tent and making more signs?
Cooper wants to silkscreen but needs a working “emulsion” set up.
Mic in free speech area!
Monday→ Zombie March! Let’s get zombified, dress like billionaires. We’ll have another Tour of Shame.
We need more people on the Action Committee!!
Noon on Saturday is a Meditation Flashmob. Sit silently for ½ hour at Saturday Market’s food court.
Don’t be afraid to be arrested.
User avatar
emeraldopalite
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: Eugene

Return to GA Meeting Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron