Change the Corporate Structure

This forum should be used to propose goals for a unified idea of what we stand for. Please use the poll option when creating threads for idea propositions.

Change the Corporate Structure

Postby JerryB » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Traditional corporations by law must maximize profits, and usually that means that the rest of society suffers because of that. They can bribe lawmakers to give them special breaks. Maximizing profits usually means special tax breaks (paid for by the 99%) minimizing pollution controls, shipping jobs overseas, or cutting corners in some way.

What would happen if corporations had a different mandate - to help communities and the people in them? What would happen if corporations were owned by the workers so profits went back into the community, the 99%, instead of into the pockets of the 1%?

There is a new type of corporation called Benefit Corporations or B Corps, that do that. They work to help the community. http://www.bcorporation.net/

With the high unemployment bring back job sharing and lower the hours worked in a week. Germany brought down their unemployment this way. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... short-work

The problem with most of the chronically unemployed is that they have deficiencies in job skills, experience, and education. Programs like Job Corps work people half time and teach them half time. Jan Schakowsky has a bill in the House that would create 2.1 million jobs and would target the chronically unemployed. http://schakowsky.house.gov/index.php?o ... s-releases

Another way to train the chronically unemployed is to reinstate the Apprenticeship program. Have a Master overseeing three teams. Each team would have an unskilled apprentice and a journeyman to teach. This system could be modified to work for every business. http://www.lanecc.edu/apprenticeship/

Bring back the WPA. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... e_wpa.html
There are lots of things that need to be done in the country, We need to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure, but that takes trained people. The Free market system has abandoned the chronically unemployed. Businesses only hire the best and brightest and won't even consider someone not currently employed.
The only way to give these people meaningful jobs, so they can become productive taxpayers, is for the government to hire them directly. We need to replant millions of trees, we need people to bring in crops since we have chased the illegals out. We need to help the people suffering through the increasing natural disasters caused by climate change. Because the disasters are caused by climate change, pay for the program with a small carbon tax, which would discourage CO2 production and would help alternative energy.
JerryB

Re: Change the Corporate Structure

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:25 am

"We need to help the people suffering through the increasing natural disasters caused by climate change-" what? Climate Change? What about not discriminating along the way? What does that mean? Well the homeless and hungry of our country, if they happened over night in a great natural disaster, (caused by climate change or anything else) there would be State, Federal and Private Relief Agencies working day and night across our entire country. But because this economic disaster is not "Natural" and has occurred over several years, the people suffering its ravages are treated like second rate humans, and criminals.
And while the "government" may be able to do much, that means "WE" because "WE" are the government, and one of the most important things that "WE the Government" can do to eliminate this "unnatural ECONOMIC disaster" is to put and end to the concentrated power of the 1%, by ending Corporate Personage,and spreading their wealth out into a new economic system that prevents such financial imbalances and unnatural economic disasters.
Ross

Postby JerryB » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:30 pm

The best way to help the homeless and the unemployed is to get them jobs. The Free market is useless for helping the chronically unemployed. They will only hire the best and brightest who are currently employed. If corporations would change to help the unemployed, to provide education and training, that would help, but if they don't change the government must be the employer of last resort.

Many of the chronically unemployed are deficient in education, experience, or skills. Programs like Job Corps help that, but we need a huge effort like what Franklin did during the last depression. We need a new WPA. There is a lot of work to do and helping disaster victims is only one of the jobs. The program itself should help the homeless and unemployed escape their situation, but the WPA could also be put to work building low cost housing and other things that could help. What are your suggestions?
JerryB

Postby Alphynwoode » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:55 pm

A business that takes care of its employees has no need of unionization. I've witnessed this firsthand.
My father used to run a Union meat processing plant. After sustaining a number of attacks from animal rights activists, he didn't have the money to pay the union dues and thus had to make the difficult decision to break from the union. He told his workers what was happening and gave any who would, the chance to leave and stay with the union. One did; the rest stayed, and stayed with the business until my father's death ended it. Those workers were, for all intents and purposes, extended family, and were treated as such.
A business, whether it's a small mom-and-pop shop or an international corporation, has a vested interest in recruiting and keeping a good, loyal and hardworking staff. At least, that's the theory; there will of course be exceptions, disgruntled workers, attitudes, egos and other complications, but that's the star. A businessperson belongs to treat people well because, like nations, a business is first about people. People serving other people, providing them with a commodity, a service, something to make their life easier.
Did my Dad decide to open a butcher shop to get rich and buy Senators? No, he did it because people need to eat, and that included his family.
Alphynwoode

Postby cswriter1 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:29 am

Alphynwoode, thank you for your post. We need to remember how things were. They were not always as they are. And rather than tear down everything, with no plan for rebuilding, perhaps we can start recreating a better work world, and community, right now? Money should be no problem, the banks are giving everyone credit cards if they have the income to repay borrowed money or not.

Is anyone posting here, old enough to remember the door factory in Springfield? It was owned by someone living in Springfield, and he told everyone the business was one big family. The workers had a union and got good wages, and their incomes were very important to the whole community. Because the owner lived here, his relationship with the workers and the rest of the community were important to him.

During the 1970-80 recession the door factory was sold to someone out of state. The wages were cut. The union went on strike. The owners hired non union workers. It was a terrible fight that tore the city apart, and I believe it was close for good.

How many things can we learn from this?
Only when democracy is defended in the classroom is it defended.
cswriter1

Postby cswriter1 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:48 am

Ross2 wrote:"We need to help the people suffering through the increasing natural disasters caused by climate change-" what? Climate Change? What about not discriminating along the way? What does that mean? Well the homeless and hungry of our country, if they happened over night in a great natural disaster, (caused by climate change or anything else) there would be State, Federal and Private Relief Agencies working day and night across our entire country. But because this economic disaster is not "Natural" and has occurred over several years, the people suffering its ravages are treated like second rate humans, and criminals.
And while the "government" may be able to do much, that means "WE" because "WE" are the government, and one of the most important things that "WE the Government" can do to eliminate this "unnatural ECONOMIC disaster" is to put and end to the concentrated power of the 1%, by ending Corporate Personage,and spreading their wealth out into a new economic system that prevents such financial imbalances and unnatural economic disasters.

The Obama administration is trying to do this, and the Republicans are blocking his efforts because the national debt is so big and growing so fast. I am afraid the present policy of sending our youth to school with grants and student loans is going to blow up, just like the housing bubble.
cswriter1

Postby occupysolutions » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:38 am

What exactly is the Obama administration "trying to do"? Ross2 mentioned half-a-dozen things...
occupysolutions

Postby cswriter1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:26 pm

How about using Deming's democratic model for industry? It wasn't that long ago when there was talk about the problem with autocratic industry, but lately no one seems to know what autocratic means, nor that there is a democratic choice.
cswriter1

Postby transientemotion » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:06 pm

I agree with the movement to some degree but I don't agree with letting the government play robin hood. I agree that something has to be done. I definitely see and share the outer view of this except I see the problem as the government with too much control. If our government didn't control what we see, eat, smell, etc then how could a corporation do the things its doing now?

Just about 4 or 5 years ago I used to be the guy going through trash cans in Eugene looking for cans, camping equipment, clothes, dishes (thank you UofO kids for the donation dumpsters). I was on food stamps, went to the service station to shower, got food boxes twice a month, and was on the street. I made stuff and sold it at the Saturday Market. I built a shelter in the woods and went to the hot springs all the time, I LOVED IT. You know why? I got stuff for free

Eventually that wasn't the life I wanted to lead and I knew I wasn't going to live the way I wanted to without working for it. I want a house in the woods, I want a nice car/truck to travel around and rockhound, I want a freezer and be able to have enough local grown meat to last a year. I put adds on craigslist for work that almost any able bodied person could do, I checked unemployment offices, temp agencies, newspapers, bulletin boards, churches, etc. I bartered my work for things I needed. It has been rough, and still is. I flaked off bills, built up debt, and had kids (smart guy huh).

For me, I guess I was looking for the "right" job that I could be somewhat satisfied at and build upon. I have found that through my ambition which tells me where I want to be. I would have never thought to take from the rich to compensate for what people don't have.

I am for holding signs with the intention of limiting our governments flip switches and distinguishing between them and the corporation.

Thanks for the ear- :o
transientemotion

Postby Ganapoes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 am

What exactly is the Obama administration "trying to do"?
Ganapoes

Return to Our Goals