Occupy Eugene Protests Black Friday

Postby KatieDee » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:53 am

November 25, 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE press [at] occupyeugenemedia.org

Eugene, OR-Approximately 100 Occupy Eugene protestors converged in a flash mob at the Valley River Center mall at 12:30 a.m. on Black Friday to protest corporate greed and mass consumerism. The group peacefully sang political carols with lyrics that exposed their message, encouraging people to spend time with their families rather than spending money on material objects often produced in sweatshops overseas.

After peacefully dispersing from Valley River Center when asked, protesters moved to the Wal-Mart store in Delta Oaks. When protesters were asked to leave the store, they did so peacefully and promptly.

Protesters then converged at Wal-Mart on W. 11th and were not clearly asked to leave, but did so in a matter of 15 minutes. Protesters then gathered in the parking lot for an end of the night closure where Occupy Eugene protester John Monroe spoke out, saying “We have reached out here tonight. We saw in the faces what an extended hand can do for the rest of the 99% and my personal request is that we continue to learn how to reach out.”

As the group was about to disperse, the Eugene Police Department arrested one protester without warning. Police stated that the protester was being arrested due to not leaving when asked.

“It was not clear that we were being asked to leave, but we were in the process of dispersing when one of us was arrested," said Katie Dee, an Occupy Eugene protester. "We believe he may have been singled out because he was holding a megaphone."

Like Occupy Eugene's November 17 action against banks, this protest was peaceful. In each location tonight where occupiers protested and were asked to leave, they did so promptly and peacefully.

This press release has been approved by the general assembly of Occupy Eugene.

www.occupyeugenemedia.org

###

###
KatieDee

Re: Occupy Eugene Protests Black Friday

Postby anlaufian elder » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:04 am

Did anyone take video of the flash mob?
Do you feel that this action helped the movements primary goals?
Did this action help or harm public attitude and support of the movement?

Personally, I think getting repeatedly shooed out of private businesses during stressful shopping times does more harm than good.

I went to Target on Wed. and bought my daughter a new LED TV. She loves it. Got a good deal. I was able to give her still good old TV to her Apt. complex's gardener. He gave it to his daughter.
The circle goes on
Kumbamatata
anlaufian elder

Postby anlaufian elder » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:48 am

My adult daughter's future, like Gabby Giffords, is to keep recovering from a head injury accident.
Her insurance premiums takes over 25% of her disability income.
Her future depends on who holds power in Washington D.C.
Yes, so far she has been sold out to the highest bidder.
But what does that have to do with her enjoying watching her favorite shows in HD?
anlaufian elder

Postby kokomojo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks to all the Black Friday Demonstration Organizers! It was a pleasure to MIC CHECK with you in the middle of Valley River Mall. I've always wanted to yell in that place. Thank You so much!!... I surprisingly ran into several youth from other areas of my life who had come to participate in the OE demonstration....what a wonderful confluence. Thanks for making it possible for me to join them in a spontaneous and clever democratic exercise! What an impression it made on them. As for the other shoppers, I could not believe how many there were. We were standing next to the Santa Hut and since he wasn't there, I guess we were Santa last night....and probably less disruptive to shoppers than the huge line (and frustrated children) that normally takes up space there! Yay! Derek, the RG put a truly great photo of you online. I'm sure you made several folks proud! :D
kokomojo

Postby anlaufian elder » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:30 pm

"What an impression we made on them"
"I always wanted to yell in that place"

You guys sure screwed the pooch on your FUBAR, little childish stunt.
The only impression you made on "them", your fellow Eugene citizens, is WTF was that all about.
It was embarrassing to watch it on the local news.
I have yet to read any positive comments about it.
Did Beavis and Butthead take control of this bus?
anlaufian elder

Postby EugTeach » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:16 pm

People should all look into Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "Letter from Birmingham Jail". In it, he makes the case for direct action as a means to cause the issues to be discussed. I think that we all need to carefully plan and debrief all our public protest actions to make sure we all know what message we are trying to send. This happened for the Black Friday protest, and we need to continue to discuss our tactics for the future.

The reality of the protest that night was that we were spreading awareness about some of the heinously unfair aspects of Black Friday (artificially low prices built on the backs of oppressed people). We sang songs (we were much better by the end of the night, more practice would be good for any future public singing) and had many good interactions with people (Walmart employees and shoppers) along with some highly publicized negative interactions. The live stream is a better source for forming your opinion than the news media, since the media largely did not represent our side.

I think the bullhorn might have been both unnecessary (good mic-checking everyone!) and potentially offensive. Bullhorns are for one way conversations, not dialogues. Debriefing off the parking lot (still private property) would take away an opportunity for the police to arrest us (unless we feel the need to be arrested to get attention, although we should decide if that is the kind of attention we want, or the best way to get it).

I have personally had many good interactions with people that I wouldn't have had if the protest hadn't happened. Every time the local news is posted online, there is the opportunity to post comments publicly, which is a good way to reach out to people. We should occupy the media! Reach out to our fellow 99%rs! But remember to build bridges, not fences.

I'm just calling it as I see it. Feed back/responses welcome.
EugTeach

Postby laurenasprooth » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:08 am

Great post EugTech! I agree with all that you said. And that would be great to have debriefs/talk about tactics after actions. Would you be willing to set that up?
laurenasprooth

Postby EugTeach » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:00 pm

I would love to participate in debriefings of our actions, but because I am a school teacher, I am very busy and don't make it to very many actions. I feel that I can only speak for myself, and the actions that I am a part of. Perhaps we could find a few people who are commonly at the actions and work with the actions committee to have debriefing circles after each action for those who participated in the actions. If someone at each debrief kept minutes and posted them on a forum, we could start a larger discussion about what tactics work well, and have a resource to refer back to when we plan future actions. I think the action committee is already doing a lot of this stuff, so I will try to find someone who is active in "actions" when I am on site tomorrow.
EugTeach

Return to Press Releases