CTV's Occupy Discussion Program

CTV's Occupy Discussion Program

Postby Graham L » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Just watched Occupy TV with Big John and Alley talking for an hour. Being involved with OE, it held my interest for the hour and my hat is off to both John and Alley. It's tough to sit there with the camera rolling non-stop for that long and keep generating useful information. Now that my cold is dissipating, I need to get to more CommComm meetings and assist the committee in a direct involvment with the content of one program a week, let alone two. Let's achieve one full hour a week that interests a wide cross- section of the community before we take on a second hour. That will mean at least ten minutes at the beginning explaining to new viewers what we are building, how much we have accomplished, and where we are headed. The printed questions on the screen are a start and make sense to us, but people who have never tuned in and only get their info from local TV and the R-G/EW need more of a basic primer. If we can really inspire hundreds of new people with our Mission/Vision and our strategy, they may attend a GA and find a way to plug in and grow the Movement.

It's great that Joe has taken this on. He is just the person to lead the effort. I'd like to see the hour divided into two or three segments, one with him and another person examining recent political/social situations or incidents through the OCCUPY lens and then talking about what the Movement can do to solve the systemic problems. CommComm can definitely help with that. We really do need to do more on OccupyTV than blow our own horn and diss the City and its task force on the homeless. All this is a start. Do we want to tear something down before it's even underway? Let's talk about all the ways we can use our experience and creativity to be a real resource to our community on many levels! What are your thoughts? What would you like to see? More photos from each site of us doing the nitty gritty work of building a village that nourishes people -- all of us, in numerous ways -- makes them more safe, secure, and healthy than many have been in years! Are we going to be stopped by the "authorities" or are we finding a way to continue our good work--maybe out by the Service Station?

Alley and John talking about the reality of the houseless having to function "in the wild" -- even getting one's self and one's stuff (with one's kids?!) from Point A to Point B -- with three hours sleep after guarding the campsite all night, and maybe just enough junk food to stave off an empty stomach -- that was priceless. They made it real. I'm sure we have photos of John and Diesel in the kitchen and store rooms and some of the endless serving lines. Some 'before' and 'after' shots of the street kids pitching in with chores? Maybe a segment correcting misinformation generated by the local media?

We've become invisible again to the 99% when we could have a presence on many key street corners around town. We need signs that educate in very few words on a sign or three. Spark curiosity about what we're REALLY up to. Maybe inject a little humor. Isn't that in the purview of our committee? We can have some fun here and be a BIG boost to OE! What are your thoughts?
Graham L

Re: CTV's Occupy Discussion Program

Postby jamil » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks for this nice discussion of the CTV work, Graham :) It sounds wonderful
jamil
Site Admin

Postby Graham L » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks for this nice message, Jamil. I'd much rather be allies than adversaries. Harmony is the Word for 2012. Raise your glasses, everyone!
Graham L

Postby Ouis » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Glad to hear you watched the show and enjoyed it Graham!
I have been helping out with some of the camera work and hope to learn enough to be producing shows soon.
The one with Big John and Alley was the second show for the panel discussion show that has been filmed. The first had Alley, John Monroe and Jana Thrift speaking together for an hour and aired last week. I am hoping that we have these both posted to Youtube soon, Joe has been busy and I do not know how. Yet.
There is another half hour show on Wednesdays that is more of a news cast with info about the other occupies and other topical subjects.
This Sunday there are three (four?) separate shows already lined up for taping so we can get several done at once. Please ask Joe for details, he is still the head honcho until we get more people together and work up other shows to produce. I know I would love to see lots of people showing up to help with production so we can share the load--there is lots we can do with this.

Hope to see you there!
Ouis

Postby Graham L » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:25 am

Please tell Joe that I DO want to pitch in, but this weekend I need to be outa town. Have a Blast! Hmm. I wish the Sunday taping didn't conflict with 2pm CommComm meeting . . unless we met at CTV instead of Growers?
Graham L

Return to Communications