Community Bill of Rights of Eugene

Gathers to analyze and address the relations between systems at different levels: the systems that emerge among us as members of the occupation itself, local and regional systems, and large-scale systems (national or international, for instance). We are committed to developing workable proposals for concrete action at all three levels. Our conversations aim to link the movement's practical and theoretical concerns together in the service of collective and individual growth.

Community Bill of Rights of Eugene

Postby Yoan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:54 pm

I have heard hint or at least suggestions around facebook about creating a bill of right for Eugene that would end corporate personhood. I have been doing a little research on the initiative process and a bill of right proposed at the website below. I have a few docs that might be helpful. If this is happening could someone point me to the right people to talk to or if someone is interested in starting something up I could give you my docs. I could help out somewhat, but my plate is already full with other groups/committees.

http://envisionseattle.org/2011/10/turn ... hange.html
Yoan

Re: Community Bill of Rights of Eugene

Postby JerryB » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:36 pm

Good Idea Yoan
I posted a community Bill of Rights in general Discussions. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=700

Now all we have to do is convince the City Council to adopt it.
JerryB

Postby GrameenEugene » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:47 am

We the People-Eugene has submitted 5000 signatures on a petition to the Eugene City Council asking them to pass a resolution to end corporate personhood. We have promises from two councilors to present such a resolution to the council, but there doesn't seem to be anything happening. So any encouragement the council gets in the near future to produce a strong resolution could be productive. Both LA and NYC city councils have recently passed such measures. A community bill of rights is also a potential strategy.

We the People-Eugene is looking at other strategies for ending corporate personhood, including a possible statewide initiative to amend the state constitution. We the People-Eugene has an open house and potluck the second Sunday at McNail-Reilly House at 13th and Jefferson. Next open house is Feb 12, from 2:30-5. Our regular meetings are Wednesday at 6 PM. Call for location, as we're between meeting spots right now.

We can pursue this topic at the Visioning meeting Tuesday at 5:30 at OE V.

Fergus
937-3034
GrameenEugene

Postby Yoan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks guys. Having the counsel adopt something is a good idea. What I was researching was a ballot initiative which is way more involved. You have 3 months to get approx. 14,000 signatures. The good thing about it though is that it is voter driven so we don't need to have help or support from city council. Maybe it could be a fall back position if city council thing falls through. I can't come to the visioning committee meeting tomorrow, but I could send the info I have for folks to look at if you give me your email . The bill of rights is more over reaching than just ending coporate personhood. It is something like the second bill of rights proposed by Roosevelt and it includes environmental rights as well. I took a template proposed by Envisioning Seattle and made it Eugene specific. I also have documents that spell out the initiative process and forms needed for that process. If we had a army of volunteers to get the signatures we could do it. A measure like this was on the ballot in Spokane, Wa. and lost by only 1000 votes. If a hick town like Spokane can do that we should be able to also and get it passed.

Yoan
tseringma@hotmail.com
Yoan

Return to Systemic Change Working Group